The project aims to implement the OED Grundtvig network results at different levels (policy and providers) as well as transfer them to different sectors (vocational, basic skills, etc.). Eleven partners will work to make Outreach, Empowerment and Diversity a reality in their countries and at the European level.
Europe is currently facing great challenges – growing inequalities; high unemployment; persistent discrimination of disadvantaged groups such as the Roma, refugees and migrants; insufficient basic skills – which could be tackled by reaching out to adults that are not learning and that are caught in a low-skilled trap, engaging them into lifelong learning opportunities and valuing their contribution to the adult education sector.
Elaborating very successfully guidelines for trainers and staff in adult education as well as policy recommendations for policy-makers at different levels, the OED Grundtvig network already made some big steps in the right direction. The implOED project will give the consortium the opportunity to mainstream our results and implement them at different levels (policy and providers) as well as transfer them to different sectors (vocational, basic skills, etc.).
The objectives of the project are:
- better integration of disadvantaged groups
- a stronger intercultural understanding of the diverse groups for each other
- more empowered and active citizens based on their learning and development
- more diverse adult education institutions, which will help them be more effective instruments of integration
- the stronger involvement of a diverse group of learners, which will on the one hand improve the participation in lifelong learning, but also the active citizenship and the integration of learners´ voices
By making outreach strategies mainstreamed and adult education more diverse, this project will engage disadvantaged adults in learning and thus substantially contribute to achieving of the ET2020 benchmarks, decreasing the number of NEETS and reducing geographic and social disparities within the EU. By fostering the empowerment of learners, the project will create a more inclusive and fair society, increase active citizenship and make education policies more effective for the needs of the disadvantaged groups.
The final aim of the project is to start a change in the mind-set of policy-makers and adult education providers in order to make them aware of the fact that outreach, empowerment and diversity are possible to achieve.
Implementation and outcomes:
The consortium will work in two clusters:
- Implementing OED on the provider level: six partners will target staff, managers and trainers/teachers in adult education. They will rely on their membership and their knowledge of the challenges in their geographical areas to adapt the guidelines to the training needs in their countries and regions.
- Implementing OED on the policy level: five partners will target regional, national and European policy-makers by informing and training policy-makers on the concepts and implementation of OED. The results of the network will hopefully inspire more activity on behalf of policy makers in the targeted areas.
All the partners will very closely monitor the questions, challenges and successes of their activities through an impact assessment. The final product of implOED will be an instruction manual for implementing OED that will bring together the learning points of all the partners, propose concrete solutions on how make outreach, empowerment and diversity a reality as well as suggestions on how to transfer the OED products to different sectors and geographical areas.
Kick off Meeting- Porto, 7-8 March 2016
Second partner meeting – Paris, 3-4 October 2016
Third partner meeting – Helsinki, November 2017
Final partner meeting – Brussels, October 2018